Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Made $20 NYE & Loving the random things that happen

Asian Cousin and I are nothing but committed to our goals lately.  Seagull decided to get drunk at home with his roommates instead of going out.  None of our regular crew was going out either, and this was even before it was clear that there was going to be a snow storm.  I drove to gym at the beginning of the storm and the drive back made me really now want to go out.  Asian Cousin and I had planned on doing it, and he was still texting me about going to these two free venues we had found.

Part of me thinks back and sees how it might have been a good night to stay in.  The snow storm did depress the crowds.  I think that at venues that had packages that had been preselling for weeks, the snow wouldn't have mattered.  Also, the city was probably busy since people didn't have to drive (though that option would have sucked for us as we would have still had to drive in the snow, not had any free parking, or walked around in the snow taking the train.  In the suburbs, and especially at our destinations which were free (which meant they didn't expect that much business), the storm really hurt things.  At the first venue, there literally only two sets of available girls.  The first was two ugly fatties, and the second was this 3-set.

We stalled on opening the 3-set until we were about to leave.  On Saturday, Asian Cousin had talked about doing the game/deal where your wing has you open a set (we agreed to make it it easy but excluding mix sets, and just making it girl only sets), and if you don't open, you give the other guy $1.  I didn't want to play, but I also knew it was right: we were supposed to be opening anyway, and the money is a good incentive to take action.  He made me do the 3-set, and I went to open it.

Well, standing around for so long made it hard, and I happened to come in just as they were arguing about something so I meekly left after my weak opening.  I pushed AC to open them later, and he stopped one of them after they came out of the bathroom.  They had escaped to the bathroom because some lame guys had opened them at the bar and chased them away.  I mentioned at the time that there was another reason we should open.  We had stalled and some lame guys had opened them when we could have opened and improved their night instead (well, in this case, we could have been less lame as we weren't exactly in top form).

Three lessons:
Later in the night, I'd tell AC, then we should take two lesson from tonight.  First, we should feel confidence in the fact that we braved the weather to stay committed to our goals.  I write that I could have stayed in.  Had I known how dead it was going to be, it might have been worth staying it because missing out on 3-5 sets is fine.  Still, I think I would have felt like I had been lazy with my goals and felt bad about staying in had I blown off the night.  Also, I wouldn't have had my $20 experience that I'll write about shortly.

The second lesson is that we shouldn't squander the sets we have and shouldn't waste time not opening and doubting ourselves.  The 3-set from the first venue ended up being the hottest girls of the night.  We waited so long to open them, and AC actually was doing okay with his target until the leader girl came in a pulled her away.  We had been anxious to try the new place hoping their would be more sets (there were, but a lot fewer than we had expected, and again, these girls turned out to be way hotter than the ones at the 2nd venue).  Had we known what the next venue was going to be like, we would have tried harder with these girls.

The lesson then is then when we're out in the future, we need to take advantage of the opportunities there.  Let's not fail to open sets on a busy night because we doubt ourselves.  Let's remember the dead night, like our NYE, when we are in the process of wasting abundant sets.  Let's also remember NYE, when we're out in the summer and want to call it quits early rather than pushing on during a busy night, when we're in a good state and things are more likely to happen.

The third lesson is similar to the second.  There were two cute blondes that we spotted.  I did a half attempt at opening them in an effort to avoid losing $1 for not opening.  Later, I went back to open their group when they were off the dance floor, and this girl told me, "I'm sorry, but we're about to leave because our friend just got kicked out."  Damn.  We could have been having fun with them that whole time, yet I stalled and now they had to leave so I wouldn't even have a chance now.

I had been out on the dance floor yet I was holding myself back.  I danced by some of the girls, but never fully committed to try to dance with them and move things along.  Heck, one black girl even bumped into me.  on the dance floor.  I really think it was on purpose so I'd engage her.  Seriously, the dance floor was wide open since it was dead, so she had to have done it on purpose.  I think so additionally because she was kind of giggling when it happened.  I knew this at the time, but I just wasn't in the right state at the time.

$20 cab ride:
We had been talking about leaving the whole time, and I finally said, "Yeah, let's get the fuck out of here.  We're just wasting our time.  There are no sets.  Let's remember this on a busy night and learn our lesson."

As we were walking out, this guy asked AC, "Hey, where are you headed?  I'll give you $20 if you drive my wife and I home."

AC just blew it off.  The guy then asked me.  He seemed trustworthy.  He was also doing a good job of selling it, as he pulled out the $20 to show me, and kept saying, "It's on X road and Y road, which isn't too far from her."

I sized him and his wife up and said, "Fuck it, let's go."  (I use that line a lot as I always think of "Rounders."  It's the part when Worm (Ed Norton's Character) is trying to get Mike (Matt Damon's character) to go to Atlantic City after he discovers his live in girlfriend has just moved out her stuff.  Mike finally says that when he decided to go.  It still gets me pumped up thinking about the scene, even though the movie came out in '98.)

The drive was only like 10 minutes out of the way for me and the guy seemed cool.  I got to practice some of my conversation skills.

The reason they had needed a ride was because the snowstorm and it being NYE made it so there were no cabs around.  I've been at that venue many times before, and usually there's a line of cabs waiting in front (and this is in the suburbs).

I got my gas money and more for the night, which amuses me.  What I like most is that this event was like the beer spill from Friday.  It was a totally unexpected thing that happened to me while sarging that amuses me and that I'll always remember.

AC says that he often finds himself disliking approaching and going out to meet girls and sometimes just wishes he had a regular girl.  I told him that while I do want to get a rotation of girls going, I immensely enjoy going out.  Well, except when I was in a bad zone like a month ago, where I felt like going out was a chore.  At that time, I remember telling myself, "This is great.  I gotta go out again and get my head kicked in by this."

I actually love going out most of the time.  I love feeling alive by being social and getting on the dance floor.  I love the random experiences, like driving this guy home, or getting the beer spilled on me.  I love pulling even more, but it's been far too long since that happened, and I seriously like these other random happenings as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment